Up to four ‘solar cities’- a $75 million pioneering concept to create more energy sustainable communities – will be established in Adelaide and up to three other grid-connected urban areas around Australia.
Senator Ian Campbell, Minister for Environment & Heritage said the $75 million program will encourage the use of solar panels and ‘smart meters’ and reward ‘energy wise’ consumers, encourage business to test new sustainable energy options, and enable data to be collected on the environmental and economic costs of the initiative for future energy and greenhouse policymaking.
The project has captured national interest receiving 23 submissions – 7 from NSW, 3 from Victoria, 3 from Queensland, 2 from Western Australia, 5 from South Australia, and 1 from the Northern Territory.
The 11 projects selected to receive $50,000 for a detailed business case and from which the winners will be chosen, are:
1) Adelaide Solar Citizens (SA)
2) Alice Springs Australia’s Solar Centre (NT)
3) Blacktown Solar City (NSW)
4) Brighter Future Sydney Olympic Park / Auburn Solar City (NSW)
5) Central Victorian Solar Cities Project (ViC)
6) Coburg Solar City (Vic)
7) Kalgoorlie-Boulder Solar Cities Project (WA)
8) Perth Solar City (WA)
9) Solar Cities Adelaide (SA)
10)Solar Newcastle (NSW)
11)Townsville: Queensland Solar City (Qld)
FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
Renae Stoikos(Campbell office) 6277 7640 or 0418 568 434