Top Ten Tips for Outstanding Customer Service – Kathie Holmes in The Business Mums Magazine
1. The customer is not always right. However, the customer is still the customer.
2. Customers are not just the people who purchase from you or use your services; they are also people who you turn to or people within your organisation. We all have internal and external customers.
3. Always respond to a customer query or complaint in a timely manner. Never ignore an email. If you are busy, simply send a quick email letting the customer know you are working on it and will get back to them a.s.a.p.
4. If you have an email address on your website be sure to check it numerous times daily and enusre each email is replied to. Nothing is more frustrating than being ignored by an online business.
5. Show empathy towards your customers. Most people are not deliberately trying to be difficult. They simply want the best value for their money.
6. List your likes and dislikes as a customer. Treat your customers the way you wish to be treated according to this list.
7. Value Add for your customers. By adding a small gift with large orders you are sure to bring repeat business from a very happy customer.
8. Consider everyone you come into contact with to be a potential customer. Hand out business cards everywhere you go. You just never know when they will contact you.
9. Listen to your customers. Do not pre-empt what you think they want but listen to what they are asking and provide it.
10. The customer is not an interuption to your day – they are the reason for you day.
Good advice, I think, from Kathie, co-owner of FixMyBusiness.com.au – a business designed to help small business owners keep costs to a minimum while also seeking help and guidance. Kathie’s tips are published in the new edition (Feb-March 2007) of the Business Mums Magazine. Visit www.businessmums.com for all sorts of info and advice for home-based business parents.