More on Grey Nomads…Finding Travel Companions. It seems we over 55s are reticent when it comes to sharing travel but our kids just do it! Check out the community/travel partner section of the gumtree websites for each state. This is Melbourne’s.
People may not want to publicly post their responses and currently there is no other way.
Email email@example.com and I will forward you the email addresses of those whose comments appeal to you.
Anything else needed?
I have responded positively to the spirit of the responses listed below and I think – quite the contrary to going on an organised tour – you at least have a ‘feel’ of these people. I think my approach would be an exchange of email which could include photo attachments, then a phone call or a coffee/dinner meeting – VERY much up to the individuals.
PWF would take NO responsibility for a successful holiday. Our role would be purely an info-exchange/facilitaing role at the introductory stage.
1. “I am sure there are many out there myself being one such person, who simply don’t go on holidays to places they would love to visit, because they are on their own and therefore won’t travel. It is sad that so many are missing out and it makes clear sense to me that these people should meet up with a common reason for doing so. I guess the drawback is that there are some people that one would not get on with and that could turn into a bad holiday. I would like to meet and know who I might be traveling with before I took the step to do so. I throw this question out there. How does one learn about their potential traveling companion? Is there a vehicle to enable people to do this? I think the idea is fantastic if you can get over this hurdle – Margaret Murray”
2. “Margaret I agree with you completely as I am a male who wishes to travel and I know I am OK but would like to be sure of my travelling companion – Regards Gary”
3. “Happy to have like minded people contact me re – Australian travel. Do you have a page where like minded people can get in touch with travel companions. I am not talking about meat market types of pages . There are enough of them . Simply mateship/friendship easy going calm natures who make stress free genuine travelling partners. Be it male or female – Lauri”
4. “I totally agree with Lauri I am 57yrs young and plan to buy a motorhome early next year and travel Ozz, looking for another female with same… Jennifer”
5. “Great idea having a tick the box form. Love to see personality/outgoing temperament/drinking habits/ smoking habits/ clean habits Really anything that would make a friendly no hassle trip. Nothing worse than being on a holiday with a moody person etc etc. Must have a lot in common especially if one wishes to do an outback trip or motorhome around Aussie.Go with the flow and enjoy. Have all agreed financial input /costs etc worked out before leaving as not to create undue tension. Great to have a person who is up front and speaks their mind about whatever without being rude and having a dominating overpowering attitude. Just my own wish list as i very much dislike friction and unpleasantness – Lauri”
6. “Yes, I have travelled alone for a couple of years now and although I have had a great time, some things you just can’t do alone i.e visiting the hutong bars in China, going to see live bands or the shows in vegas. Next January I’m planning a trip to Cuba and finishing with a 3 week trip from LA to Sydney on the Queen Victoria. A friend was coming, now maybe can’t. Have booked the cruise but can’t afford the whole cabin. I am 60, going on 40, fit, love to dress up, wine and dine, but also think it’s more interesting to mix with locals when travelling. I am too old now for back packing, but 2 and 3 star OK as long as there is some luxury somewhere in the trip. Am also thinking of the great outdoors around OZ next year. Packing up the tent and my staffy and buggering off. Any takers on that? – Sylvia Gilroy”
7. “Happy to have like minded people contact me re – Australian travel. Do you have a page where like minded people can get in touch with travel companions. I am not talking about meat market types of pages . There are enough of them . Simply mateship/friendship easy going calm natures who make stress free genuine travelling partners. Be it male or female – Lauri”
8. “If other people have their own van and don’t like travelling alone they could team up with another person with their own van…it would be safer and more fun if you wonted to camp on the side of the road or in remote place. I am a 62 year old female and would like to travel with other people, male or female the more the merrier – Robyn”
9. “I’m in. I have been living and travelling in my 4wd bus with puppie and 4wd in tow for a couple of years now and it’s not quite the same as having mates (Female or Male) to share things with. Please feel to contact me. Not sure how it will work – Steffen”
10. “I agree with all the comments. I am 58, have recently retired and have a new jayco wind-up camper. I’m reluctant to travel alone and do not want to stay in Caravan parks- it would be much more enjoyable and safer to have some companions preferably with their own van/camper and yes, the more the merrier. I live in Adelaide and am looking to ‘take off’ in August. I am happy to provide more details about myself to anyone out there who may want to team up. I am flexible about destinations – Barry”
Over to you!