Lifeline is delighted with a Senate report into suicide in Australia, this being the leading cause of death for Australians under the age of 44.
The Lifeline CEO says
“Suicide is a whole of community health issue and everyone has a role to play in suicide prevention. We believe the recommendations in the report reflect this..
The report contains 42 recommendations, and we hope that all governments consider each and every one of these very carefully..
For too long, as a country, we have swept suicide under the carpet. Suicide is one of the very last taboos in our community and we hope this report is a new beginning in prevention and saving lives.”
* Promoting the vital role that crisis lines play in suicide prevention
* Developing services to follow up and intensively support suicidal people
* Making suicide first aid training widely available in the community
* Providing greater support for people bereaved by suicide, and
* Conducting sustained awareness campaigns on suicide prevention
Lifeline is currently running a television campaign to bring the issue of suicide into the light that you can view on You Tube.
It’s good to be able to congratulate our pollies..