Chris Ross from the NSW south coast saw the need for a self sustaining funding process to develop youth programs while working for the Bega Valley Council. He had a brainwave, put up his own money, and set up a charity, Southern Cross Community Enterprises, in November 2009 – to run ‘ethical lotteries’.
The website went live in July 2010 and the 36th draw is currently underway. Tickets cost $10 and the prize is $2000 cash. There is a $20,000 cash jackpot.
This fund-raising idea for Non-Profits is online, it is low maintenance and it offers tangible benefits for those who want to support a charity of their choice as well as the charities designated to receive funds.
Chris says less than 10% of the ticket price goes to administration and his funding priorities are around young people, conservation and rural areas. This will expand to cultural and humanitarian programs in the future.
* All Winners Charity Choice raffle draws have a scheduled draw period.
* Draws have a minimum of 500 tickets to be sold.
* Minimum prize value is $2000.
* When the minimum 500 tickets are sold, the prize value will increase with every additional ticket sold.
* The Current Prize indicated at the time of purchase is the minimum guaranteed prize value.
* Jackpot Maximum Prize Value is currently set at $20000.
* Jackpot Prize will be awarded when the maximum 5000 tickets available are sold within the scheduled draw period.
* Where cash prizes are prohibited, VISA Gift Cards will be awarded.
* If minimum tickets available are not sold in the initial draw period, the draw may be extended for an additional scheduled period to allow for the minimum tickets to be sold.
* When one draw closes and a winner is selected, the next draw begins immediately, making it a continuous raffle process.
* All prize winners are selected by an authorised random number generator.
* Major prize winner receives 40% of the total cash pool generated by ticket sales during the draw period.
* Major Prize Winner also gets to nominate the Charity of their Choice to receive 20% of the total cash pool generated through the Winners Charity Choice Donation. Terms and Conditions apply.
* All details regarding the lottery process will be available at point of sale. This includes ticket price, scheduled draw date, minimum and maximum tickets available, Current Prize and Jackpot Prize Value.
* All Southern Cross Community Lottery prizes and donation payments will made via online EFT or by posted cheque according to the requirements of the winners and donation recipients.
* All information regarding the distribution of funds and the allocation of donations and contributions made by SCCE will be available online.
* Terms and Conditions apply.
Check out the website and/or sign up here.
Great idea Chris – good luck with it all.