Social Innovation Sydney will run one of their ‘Bar Camps’ as their first Social Innovation Startup Camp over Saturday May 7 and Sunday May 8, 2011.
BarCamps are a way of meeting and build relationships with other change makers, though the conversations that happen here don’t always turn into concrete action.
This dilemma of how to turn interesting ideas, a network of change makers, and some remarkable conversations into real projects has been one that they have been thinking about for a while.
The answer may be a series of Social Innovation Startup Camps – a face-to-face, collaborative event that brings social entrepreneurs, technologists, business strategists, and other people who want to make things happen together. The purpose is to share advice and information about getting an idea up and running.
You’ll learn the essential skills for taking your idea from concept through to the point where you can explain it effectively to collaborators, the media, funders and investors.
Over two days there’ll be experts to share the essential concepts and skills you need to bring your idea to life. For example:
* Refining your social innovation idea
* Defining your social business strategy
* Developing a business plan
* Pitching your idea to other people (like potential investors or collaborators)
* Technology for your social innovation idea
* How to use social media and social networking to help
* Presentation skills
* The chance to workshop your idea and refine it collaboratively
* Practice presenting your idea to groups of people
* Develop your own workbook to document ideas from the workshops
The main goal is to learn from each others’ experience and to get a chance to work with a new group of people and, of course, to have a lot of fun.
Registration for the 2-day Social Innovation Startup Camp is $40 (plus PayPal fee)
Venue College Of Fine Arts Cnr Greens Road & Oxford Street, Paddington
Time Saturday 9am – 5pm Sunday 9am – 5pm
Click here for more info
I’d love to go but can’t – maybe the next one?