There will be a National Workshop on Wednesday 27 February 2013 to discuss an inaugural Leadership Council for Australia’s 665,000 Voluntary Community Groups – a ‘Voice and Representation for the Social Fabric of Australia’.
The Centre for Civil Society says:
“Australia has 700,000 community organisations and not-for-profits. About 35,000 of these employ one or more staff, and many of these deliver community services for governments. The other 665,000 community organisations do not employ staff and rely on voluntary resources in serving their communities and generating social capital and belonging..
However, these 665,000 voluntary community organisations are unrepresented in public decision-making and without a voice in the public arena. When governments consult with community organisations, they usually talk to the 5% with paid staff and service delivery contracts, and ignore the other 95%.”
Following the Productivity Commission’s Report Contribution of the Not-For-Profit Sector in Australia in 2010, the Commonwealth established a Not-For-Profit Sector Reform Council made up of organisations which deliver government services.
It also established a National Compact with community organisations which deliver government services to better understand these groups
this still ignores the 95% of community organisations that serve other purposes,
Australia’s 665,000 voluntary community groups remain invisible in the public arena and also lack recognition by governments, policy makers and the media.
To rectify this problem, a peak body of Australia’s 665,000 voluntary community groups is to be discussed. Click here for more info/to register.